Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plans for last NYC meetup, Thursday September 24th
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:32 am 

Hey all!

Even though many of the wonderful folks who've been coming to the IJ meetups (regularly or irregularly) are barreling on ahead of schedule, I'm keeping the NYC meetups to the Infinite Summer schedule, which has us finishing on Monday, September 21st.

I bounced an idea for the last meetup off group, and they liked it, so here's the plan: we'll have the last official meetup on Thursday, September 24th, and instead of discussing the book, we'll all read aloud one of our favorite passages.

I've done a little math, and it seems to me that the best maximum length for such a passage is about 2 pages long. That should take about 6 minutes to read, so if we get about 20 people, it means that we'll come in at around 2 hours of reading, which I fully expect will expand to 3 hours because that's the way these things always go.

So, in short, start looking around for two or three passages that are less than 2 pages long, so that if someone picks your same excerpt you'll have a backup plan. If you find some 4- or 5- or 10-page passage that you just love, feel free to bookmark it too, just in case my estimations are completely off (which has been known to happen). Come on along on the 24th to read or even just to listen, and we'll have ourselves a regular old language orgy.

Looking forward to it.

Last edited by amandafrench on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Plans for last NYC meetup, Thursday September 24th
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:50 am 

Addendum: I've realized that since we do of course need a "Whew, we finished" wrap-up session, we'll need to finish the book just a smidgin ahead of the Infinite Summer schedule, getting to the pre-footnotes end of the book at p. 981 on Thu 9/17 instead of on Monday 9/21. You can do it! I know you can! (As I said, lots of people are ahead anyway.) It's only about 30 pages beyond where we'd be anyway on that date. But plan accordingly . . .

Post subject: Re: Plans for last NYC meetup, Thursday September 24th
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 am 

IS anyone going to the NYC meet-up tonight? (9-3)
IS there even one?