Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: The cartridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:55 pm 

I am going back through a second time and am at the place where JvD is walking to the party at which she will attempt suicide. She comes upon the odd display of a wheelchair bound man ecstatically holding a cartridge. There is an actual removable cartridge in the display's hand which she removes and replaces. The master cartridge? She is also apparently the only one who sees the display, drug dealers and passersby are oblivious. Surely the cartridge would have been stolen otherwise. And does the effect of her removing/replacing the device have a bearing on the flow of the story?

Post subject: Re: The cartridge
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:03 am 

Around p. 720 and after, it is discovered these displays have been set up by rival terrorists the F.L.Q. The A.F.R. considers them "a slap to the testicles." A couple of these cartridges turn up in the Antitoi's shop: they are not Masters and they are blank, so it seems the A.F.R. are justified in calling these F.L.Q. displays a hoax. See my long post in the "How did Antitoi get the cartidge" thread for justification of these statements.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:20 am 

Thanks you, I did not remember that part. Also, there is the bit in the filmography about IJ V being posthumously distributed as part of JOI's will. Revenge on the medical attaché or his wife for indiscretions with Avril?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:58 pm 

Jim sent Mario a camera posthumously (within a year after his death, I believe), but the attache receives the package five years after Jim dies at a hard-to-find address, not one that Jim could have predicted. Now maybe the wraith found out the address, told Lyle, and got Lyle to find some old copies in the film lab and send it?