Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iPhone version of IJ?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:36 pm 

There is a version of the book for Iceberg Reader on the iPhone App store. It offers reader notations and some other features. Anyone try it?

I'm wondering how it compares to the iPhone Kindle version.

Also, would I lose an essential part of the reader experience reading electronically? I have the trade paperback version, but I'm trying to avoid lugging it. :)

Post subject: Re: iPhone version of IJ?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 pm 

I am reading the kindle version to skip the whole "lugging a huge book around" bit.
I also have it on my iPhone (in the kindle app) and here are some notes about my experience:

Pros:
* it's great to have that monster book in my pocket all the time! That way I can pick at it whenever I'm standing around waiting for something.
* I love the ability to hyperlink to/from an endnote by touch. I still get that feeling of the mental hand grenade breaking my rhythm by shoving me to some totally different text without managing extra scraps of paper! (I hesitate to say 'bookmarks' because I actually bookmark/dog ear pages all over the place).

Cons:
* small screen
* backlit (eye strain)
* syncing issues - this only applies if you are reading it on the kindle as well. On the kindle, I jumped to a foot note. Now, every time I open the book on either device it prompts me to go to "furthest page read" which in this case is a crazy footnote! some help that is...
Also, I can't seem to get my bookmarks to sync. I tried to circumvent the above issue by bookmarking wherever I am, then going to that bookmark on the other device. Unless I'm missing something, it appears that bookmarks are device specific.

This syncing issue is further exacerbated during reading group meetings. I may have to pull out both versions so I can access all my marked pages. And of course there's the whole issue of locations vs. page numbers.

Hope that helps!

Post subject: Re: iPhone version of IJ?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:20 pm 

I'm reading the Kindle edition on my iPhone too. The backlighting and screen size don't bother me, though I can see how people would respond differently to that. I like the hyperlinked footnotes, and not having to deal with the weight and unwieldy-ness of a 1000 page book. It's nice to be able to read in bed, on my back, with the lights out.

I'll probably end up buying a paper edition too, though, just to see how the reading experience differs.