Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full disclosure to a world-wide audience
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:46 am 

Something tells me you're not going to get a big kick out of this post. Here goes. Don't you think we all might be interested in the down-to-earth mechanics of what made IS so successful? Of course, there is the weight of all the immaterial stuff that makes one and all shout out: thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

But how exactly did this thing work? How much did it cost? Were people paid to come on, as guests and as guides? Am I being indiscrete with such questions? I profer them from out of a shock to see how the follow-up, with Gravity's Rainbow, seems to pale in comparison with what was set up here.

Please understand, I'm not rumaging for secrets, and I don't think any kind of full disclosure is possible. But it would be interesting to check on the validity of my personal hypothesis, which is that this was all done "aux frais de la princesse" which I'll translate as: totally free of charge, to the greater glory of God or some goddess.

It is thus that I have afforded you yet another opportunity to re-install the Platonic noble lie in the heart of one of the most impressive of democratic accomplishments, at least insofar as my memory allows such a judgment to stand. All you have to do is say: yes, all of this was absolutely offered, free of charge and free of fees, for the cause of IJ and DFW.

I will of course be disappointed to have to metabolize such an answer. The site was simply too good, and far too well thought out, to belong only to the spirit of gratuity.

Post subject: Re: Full disclosure to a world-wide audience
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 pm 

I mean, there are pretty clearly ads on the left-hand side of the page, and this was very clearly good publicity for the guides involved (and the guests, too). It doesn't seem like the sort of venture people would expect to get paid for (beyond recouping the costs of the domain, site design, &c.), but even if they did, who cares?