[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - End of Book - Hal/Orin - Spoilers

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: Re: End of Book - Hal/Orin - Spoilers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:43 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm 

"Does anyone think that Orin in the glass and then the cockroaches rushing in is reminiscent of "1984" and the scene where the face mask with the rats is used to torture Winston and he says "Do it to Julia!" Was Orin referring to the Moms, JvD, who????"

Now that you mention it, yes, it does remind me of the "1984" rats and Winston scene.

I'm not sure exactly what Orin meant, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm 

In the last paragraph of the section that ends on page 972, the tables have turned for Orin. Now he is the Subject. It is mentioned parenthically that Mlle. Luria P--------, his technical interviewer, 'was not really Swiss,' which led me to believe that she posed as the Swiss hand model and perhaps had gleaned, through conversation, Orin's deepest fear.

As for his shouts of, 'Do it to her! Do it to her!,' I assumed Orin was referring to Avril, for no other reason than that he detests her so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:17 pm 

The thing I've never been able to figure out about Orin's cry of "Do it to her!" is what level of reference HE thinks he is making. From his conversations with Hal, among other things, we know him to be a damned well-educated guy, even if not on Hal's level, so I can totally imagine him yelling this fully intending it as both a cry for leniance/mercy and a pathetically ironic attempt at a witticism on his situation by quoting "1984." Since he is also, pretty clearly, not as into honest introspection as Hal or, even moreso, Gately, I could see his attempt at weird ironic quotation as being c/w his character and with DFW's thoughts on Irony, which have been much discussed here and on the main IS site recently. Actually, I guess I have figured it out: I can't read the scene without picturing him both breaking down and making a bad referential joke at the same time, but I'm curious if anyone else sees the reading this way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:14 pm 

The DMZ came from Sixties Bob, who we find out bought stolen goods from one of Gately's friends.

We know that Orin constantly has horrible nightmares - don't we hear about how he wakes up in a heavy sweat every day? - so I've been thinking that maybe Orin's final scene is yet another stress nightmare, throwing together the people who he's seen around that day, his phobia of roaches, his weird relation with his mother, and the plot mechanic from 1984.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 am 

I think Hals experiencing more than just delayed GRIEVING. He may be experiencing ALL
delayed emotion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:07 am 

THANK YOU, gagoots!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 am 

this may have been mentioned already, but i just noticed a real parallel between the 'fate' of orin and the fate of hal. they both become the victims of their greatest fears- for orin, it's roaches, and for hal, it's being unable to communicate. both of these fears are foreshadowed in different ways, orin becomes like the roaches in the tumblers, etc. this is obvious. but i'm bringing it up because i (and others) have wondered about himself's fears of the young hal being unable to communicate, and how to reconcile that part of hal's history with what eventually happens to him- if what eventually happens is the result of DMZ, a dosed toothbrush, marijuana withdrawal, or whatever, then it can't be directly connected to hal's youth, but it can't be coincidence either, right? i'm thinking that the early episodes from hal's life, like the professional conversationalist section, demonstrate how these themes are with him from early childhood- that even though they manifest in an unexpected way, the fears and issues one has often stay with one- even if himself's fears are not connected at all to the ingestion of DMZ or a dosed toothbrush or whatever it was.