[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - Just curious: About how many pages do you read an hour?

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: Just curious: About how many pages do you read an hour?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 am 

I'm just curious about this because I've always felt that I'm a pretty slow reader but I want to see how I compare to others. So, for this book, let's say excluding endnotes, about how many pages do you read in an hour? I think I might only read 10-12 pages an hour.

Post subject: Re: Just curious: About how many pages do you read an hour?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:08 am 
Site Admin

I find it difficult to read this book for an hour straight, because of it's density, my own ADD-addled condition, or both. I've been reading in 30-40 minutes sessions, two or three times a day.

Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:05 am 

Add me @

Friend me @

Tweet me @

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:31 am 

yeah i would say 10 - 15 pages an hour. depends on the density and what type of language is being used of course...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:05 pm 

The first time I read IJ I did probably 25 or so pages per hour, but I missed quite a bit. I'm taking notes, doing a time line, a section by section synopsis (because my friend is reading it for the first time on Kindle and I want to make sure not to accidentally ruin surprises for him) and getting about 10-12 this time.

Another one of my friends works with a guy that claims the first time he read it he finished it in 20 hours... I don't buy it. There's no way you take anything away from the book when you are reading over 50 pages per hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 pm 

Liar! It took me 15 hours to read the last Harry Potter book, and IJ is three or four times as dense and you have to keep looking for where your highlighter and paperclips and Venn diagrams went....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:34 pm 

I can read about 10 pages in an hour. I try to read (atleast) 20 pages each day of this beast.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:57 am 

I'm at the other end of the spectrum: I've got a really high reading speed, and I love to read massive chunks of text at once. However, I'm feeling a bit guilty for speeding through IJ... Am I alone in this behaviour?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:45 pm 

So in the last half an hour, 7-8 'transcript' pages, and 10 regular pages, and half a page of endnotes (by pages: sides). I don't think that's standard for me though, and I'm sure I've been reading it a lot slower than that. It might be me getting excited because I'm nearing the end, or unintentionally glossing over things because I know I'm going to start right again when I'm done so I can join in with Infinite Summer properly. I might also have been speeding up if some part of me took "About how many pages do you read an hour?" as "About how many pages can you read an hour?". I hope not.

It might also be that this is the time of evening I'm most awake, I'm sitting comfortably and it's not like when I'm reading it on my half hour lunchbreaks over food - there's no distractions (but my brothers slow jams occasionally leaking in from next door) and I know I don't need to be doing anything else this evening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:36 pm 

I'm a rather quick reader--in a regular novel, I read about 50 pages an hour comfortably. But with IJ, it's much, much slower. Partly because note-taking and endnote-flipping take up time, but also because as tempting as it would be to speed through, I'm trying to savor this incredibly dense text.

I'm vlogging IS at: www.youtube.com/Cossette729