Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:39 pm 

Why isn't there a proposed LA meet up?

Angelinos still got love to give!

Post subject: Re: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 pm 

Well, I'm thinking of going to this:

http://skylightbooks.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -help.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:54 am 

Skylight Books is having 2 gatherings!

Part 1: TONIGHT August 4th at 8pm Cheerleading Party
For anyone who loves Infinite Jest or who is taking part in the mass reading of it for Infinite Summer, we will be offering the store as a meeting place to find kindred DFW fans. We won't be leading a discussion per se -- the point is to put lots of IJ readers in the same room and see what happens. Maybe we'll talk about the book. Maybe we'll vent about how heavy it is to lug around. Maybe we'll play "cartridges." Maybe we'll break into a spontaneous game of tennis. Who knows? All of our staff members that evening either have read or are currently reading Infinite Jest! For this one, we're working on some sort of beverage to share and some way to enable spontaneous things. All you have to do is show up!

Part 2: Tuesday, September 22nd at 8pm DFW Celebration
The second gathering will be on the projected end date of Infinite Summer. This one will be a celebration to commend you on your achievement, and to raise our glasses to DFW on his achievement. We are still hashing out some of the details on this -- I'm open to suggestions if you all have any. We are hoping to have DFW's agent Bonnie Nadell, Michael Silverblatt (of KCRW's Bookworm), David Ulin of the LA Times, and some more. (None are official yet -- don't go quoting me just yet). We are planning on offering discounts on books over 800 pages and perhaps we'll ask people to share some of their favorite passages or reflections. And there will, of course, be refreshments, preferably the kind that have bubbles. One way or another, it will be a party.

Anyone with questions can e-mail me at emily@skylightbooks.com
Also, check out the store website Events tab for more info: http://www.skylightbooks.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:39 am 

The second Skylight gathering is coming up!

Part 2: Tuesday, September 22nd at 8pm DFW Celebration
The second gathering will be on the projected end date of Infinite Summer. This one will be a celebration to commend you on your achievement, and to raise our glasses to DFW on his achievement. We are hoping to have DFW's agent Bonnie Nadell, Michael Silverblatt (of KCRW's Bookworm), Kathleen Fitzpatrick from Pomona, and some more. We may be having some sort of promotion for the movie Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, which opens the following week. (None are official yet -- don't go quoting me just yet). We are planning on offering discounts on books over 800 pages and perhaps we'll ask people to share some of their favorite passages or reflections. We will have custom commemorative tennis balls courtesy of Sideshow Media and a custom cake courtesy of StraightOuttaChocolate. One way or another, it will be a party.

Anyone with questions can e-mail me at emily@skylightbooks.com
Also, check out the store website Events tab for more info: http://www.skylightbooks.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:26 pm 

I would kill to be there for your gathering. Unfortunately, I'm stranded on the opposite coast. Please take lots of photos and blog all the details for us! Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:11 pm 

Breaking News! JOHN KRASINSKI, actor/director/writer for the movie Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, will be joining us at Skylight on the 22nd to promote the movie (which opens on September 25th). He will show DFW some love by reading from the book and signing movie posters. How cool is that?!!