[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - Footnote #24

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: Footnote #24
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:29 am 

It broke my brain.

Post subject: Re: Footnote #24
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:57 am 

Don't 86 #24. B.S. Miramax Studios. U.S.A.F.A. Documentary cast, single player uncredited; narrator; 35mm; converted to Blue Ray Disc; converted to Blue Ray Mini cartridge; 2 hour 45 minutes; color; silent with SFX of turning of pages, several "sighs" from narrator and various Top 40 singles. "Real-Time" documentary using single hand-held camera on tripod, single-continous shot. Close up up IJ, the novel, specifically the Endnote #24. Slightly off screen to the right sits one large bottle of dark ambered beer. Several times during this genre-bending work captured on film, the narrator gets up only to come back within a few minutes with another dark ambered bottle of beer and continues reading Endnote #24. Halfway through the film various Top 40 singles are heard fading in and out. Is this background noise in the room with the narrator? Is the music coming from inside the head of the narrator? It is left unresolved in the film, up to the viewer to draw his/her own conclusions. As the narrator finishes the endnote at the end of the film, film fades to black with no explanation. NOW UNRELEASED.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm 

I really want to see Safe Boating is No Accident

The plot sounds hilarious AND it is shot on X-ray and Infrared film!

Last edited by donkey rhubarb on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:17 pm 

My favorite has got to be Pre-Nuptial Agreement of Heaven and Hell. "God and Satan play poker with Tarot cards for the soul of an alcoholic sandwich-bag salesman obsessed with Bernini's `The Ecstasy of St. Teresa.'" Someone please make this movie a reality - I smell Oscar!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:53 pm 

God, I love Wallace's twisted mind.
Cage III - Free Show p. 988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:21 pm 

I have a strong desire to see Cage II, "Sadistic penal authorities place a blind convict (Watt) and a deaf-mute (Leith) together in 'solitary confinement' and the two men attempt to divise ways of communitcating with each other"

I re read #24 last night and I found it faster to read the second time around because I made connections with other parts of the book. First time, it's like...WTF?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:04 am 

It kinda blew my mind; I'm really glad I didn't skip this footnote or just skim it lightly.

There's already some connections to the rest of the book that I noticed and this was, surprisingly, entertaining and informing. It gives us some timeline information, fills in some details on "the world" of IJ and it's not a slog.

I loved some of the descriptions for some of the films and thought some of them were absurd and hilarious. The first time I saw "Untitled. Unfinished. UNRELEASED." I laughed. And It Was a Great Marvel that He Was in the Father Without Knowing Him colors the professional conversationalist scene in a slightly different light then I was reading it.

This thing (that is, the novel) keeps revealing itself to me in new, unusual, and surprising ways. I never, ever thought that I'd read a fake filmography that could be relevant to a narrative.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:35 am 

I think the theme of IJ is in footnote 24, i.e., life, death, heaven, hell.

Plue, I got the idea from the word annular that kept appearing, that things are going in a circle. Book is film is book is real life, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 am 

Yeah. Annular.

I love that word.