Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: Now we're in trouble...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:39 pm 

It used to be that there was one place in Montréal where citizens could dwell without fear. But now that the Metro has <a href="http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/09/14/elevators-inaugurated-montreal-metro.html">installed elevators for wheelchaired quebecers</a>, it's lights-out underground.

In an odd bit of logic, the Metro cars themselves have had space available for fauteuils roulants since the 70s, despite the fact that none of the Metro stations had elevators. I noticed one across from my seat Sunday morning and actually shuddered at the words "fauteuils roulants".

I moved here after I began reading IJ, so it's been interesting to put myself in the place of the AFR. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but la Fronte de la Libération de Québec (FLQ) was an active terrorist group here in the 60s/70s who robbed banks, bombed buildings, derailed trains, and even kidnapped and murdered a British official. They've been in the news a bit lately (there were plans to read the FLQ's Manifesto at a Quebec-pride festival this weekend), and I've had to make the effort to mentally separate the FLQ from the AFR on more than one occasion.