Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: Orin and Joelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:15 pm 

I had missed it completely the first time through, for obvious reasons, but the radio bit from "Those Were The Legends..." that is aired immediately before we're introduced to Joelle for the first time is talking about Orin's punting at B.U. (This is on p. 181.) I found it interesting that DFW jammed in an oblique reference to Orin right before bringing Joelle on stage.

A lot of Joelle's introduction (particularly her suicide march) focuses on Jim with Orin as a supporting character. I took this bit, along with the note I had also missed the first time around that she talks in depth about football sometimes on her show, to mean that she's not quite over Orin. There's a lot of focus on her relationship with JOI, but I wonder how much her issues are also tied to the break up with Orin. He and Jim appear to be the only two males capable of seeing her in the flesh and treating her as another human being; the only ones who can see her for who she is.

Also found it interesting that the first thing Orin wants Hal to tell him about JOI's suicide is whether Joelle was there.

Post subject: Re: Orin and Joelle
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 am 

Does anyone else sense a bit of ambiguity in joelle appearance, given the definition of attractive, joelle/M.P. may be on either side of the spectrum either uncommonly deformed (perhaps do to orin's ability to dodge acid) or uncommonly beautiful.