[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - Things that make you cry

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: Things that make you cry
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 am 

pg. 192 for the sheer beauty of it -

talking about the moon - this passage knocked the wind out of me:

"That is just stays there, hidden and disclosed by our round shadow's rhythms, but never revolving. That it never turns it's face away."

Description of love.

Post subject: Re: Things that make you cry
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 am 

p 213:

"...removing from the yachting cap's lining every piece of contraband he's got and spreading it out on the bed, sort of the way older people will array all their valuables in quiet moments."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 am 

Damn. I'm going to have to make a list.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:51 pm 

The section in Ennet House where Geoffrey Day is telling Kate Gompert about the time he was playing violin as a young boy and accidentally triggered inside himself the horrible, soul-destroying black sheet of depression that follows him for years was almost unbearably moving for me. Especially since Geoffrey is such an unpleasant character for whom you expect to feel no sympathy. It's also one of the most beautifully written passages in Infinite Jest. It's just phenomenally dark and disturbing and the best description of depression I have ever read.

"'From that day, whether I could articulate it satisfactorily or not,' Day says, holding the knee of the leg just crossed, 'I understood on an intuitive level why people killed themselves. If I had to go for any length of time with that feeling I'd surely kill myself.'
'Time in the shadow of the wing of the thing too big to see, rising'"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 am 

I don't have the book on me, but several passages where Mario trying to work out in his head what's going on with Hal and break through to him are devastating

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:51 pm 

Because there are no spoiler restrictions, I'll list the following two things that make me cry. (I don't recall how to do the "spoiler" thing, so just skip the rest of this post if you've not gotten near the end.)

When Joelle is tending to the seriously-injured Gately, and he figures out that she's Madame Psychosis, and she says "And, lo," it never fails to make me cry. (It makes my throat get tight just thinking about it.)

And when Marathe is sitting in Pat M.'s office and observes that she is happy, it breaks my heart.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:24 am 

I re-read the Don Gately section (starting pg 446) in bed the other night--the part where he starts to Get In Touch with his feelings, and is bombarded by memories of his mother. I find the whole memory (of his mother's drinking, getting beat up by the MP, his finishing her vodka, etc.) so so deeply sad. I have no childhood memory even remotely this horrifying, but still it seems so deeply honest & true, as painful childhood memories go, that I can barely stand reading it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:19 pm 

The story of Gately's birthday cake kills me every time. Slightly moreso than the heart ripping story of the anhedonic couple.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:54 pm 

it didn't literally make me cry, but the passages (around 313-14) describing Mario's physical handicaps, punctuated as they are with descriptions of how each featured in Orin's abuse of Mario, I found to be heartbreaking.

also, the Matty Pemulis section is harrowing and chilling, beautifully written and all the sadder for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 am