[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - Things that has made you LOL

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Things that has made you LOL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:23 am 

pg 93 "has forgotten that his hamsters were named Ward and June"

Pg 93 "feral hamsters are not pets, They mean business"

Add me @

Friend me @

Tweet me @

Post subject: Re: Things that has made you LOL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:35 am 

"...the not particularly dreaded but media savvy Fils de Montcalm cell credited with the helicoptered dropping of the 12 meter, human waste filled pie shell onto the rostrum of U.S. President Gentle's second Inaugural." -pg 1061

made me LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 am 

p. 149 - "..the video-transmitted image of what was essentially a heavily doctored still-photograph, one of an incredibly fit and attractive and well-turned-out human being, someone who actually resembled you the caller in such limited respects as like race and limb number.."

Made me laugh. It also made me re-consider some of those pictures and look-at-my-great-life-now descriptions on Facebook.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:42 am 

So, so many things. Only outnumbered by things that have made me want to cry.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 am 

howling fantods cracks me up every time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am 

I agree, there are so many places where I just burst out laughing and scare the dogs! The herd of feral hamsters was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:47 pm 

L.A. being visited by the Wheelchair Assassins, or, A.F.R... SQUEAK! also a lot that occurs in the Boston AA circles, such as the TSYBYSCD group and Gately's pride in his conspicuous flatulence. It's endless

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 pm 

I think the section about the rise and fall of video telephony and its associated tableaux is the funniest in the book, but the single greatest line for me is p. 525, of the silhouetted meeting between the Headmaster and 7-year-old Tina Echt, in which:
"Their handshake looked, for the split-second [Hal] looked, like C.T. was jacking off and the little girl was going Sieg Heil."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:11 am 

p 152

"...they spend three months collecting and stashing the urine of sub-ten-year-old players, warm pale innocent childish urine that's produced in needly little streams and the only G/M scan it couldn't pass would be like an Ovaltine scan or something..."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:31 am 

I think the videophone chapter is brilliant all by itself; it has always made me giddy, in that DFW is not only making keen observations on human nature but is making predictions based on them.

My all-time favorite is the Helen Steeply article on the the "prosthetic crime victim" (p 142-144)--in part for the story itself, but also for the ambiguous/misplaced modifiers ("ill gotten woman's Aigner purse"), sentences you have to read several times to get ("Her tragic, untimely, and, some might say, cruelly ironic fate, however, has been the subject of the all too frequent silence needless tragedies are buried beneath when the cast the callous misunderstanding of public officials in the negative light of public knowledge."), the seemingly arbitrary insertion of certain key words targeted to supermarket-checkout-line journalism ("fashionable", "active", "alert", "tragically', "callous"--all used multiple times within the short article), and the final sentence citing "the victim's heartless fate".

This evening, I was surprised at how loudly--and inappropriately, it feels like--I was laughing at the descriptions of the Units of the Enfield Marine Public Health Hospital complex--in particular, the pranks pulled by Ennet House residents on their (the Units') poor occupants (p 193-198).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next