[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - How old are people in this group?

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: How old are people in this group?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:17 pm 

Hello everyone!
I am 18, and right out of high school. I'm reading IJ just before I head off to college.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:42 pm 

22. I think the first DFW I read was Consider the Lobster when it came out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 pm 

Hello everyone! I am 27, and my work as a scientist means it has been years and years since I've really analyzed a piece of literature, but it also means I like solving big problems. And I really love reading, so wanted to spend the summer tackling something challenging, participating in the discussions to learn as much as possible from other points of view, and to ultimately feel like I accomplished something meaningful. This is my first introduction to DFW/IJ.

It sounds like there are a wide variety of people on the forums so far, and I'm really looking forward to the discussions we will have all summer long.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:23 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:57 pm 

I'm 27.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:27 pm 

I was worried that I would be the only 16-year-old reading this. And I actually tried getting through it two years ago, people thought I was insane to try to read such a complex book at 14. I've read both Consider The Lobster and A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, and I'm really excited to finish IJ.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 pm 

I am seventeen - just finished my junior year. I'm just wrapping up my first readthrough - I started it probably sixteen months ago and, with the exception of books I've read for school, I have not opened another novel since. It's taken me a long time to get through it, but I'm really excited to be almost finished.

So yeah, when I'm done with it I'm going to go back and start from scratch to go along with the Infinite Summer schedule, so I can keep up with all the comments and whatnot and be topical and all. After all - 75 pages a week? Bah. Easy. I can do that in one day, and read 2666 or Oblivion or reread The Road or my Vonnegut books the rest of the week.

Of course, I say that now, but I'll probably be... overwhelmed by that. But whatever. =p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:25 pm 

I'm 24, taking my first stab at IJ. I've been a big fan of DFW for probably close to two years now, and have read most of the rest of his books. For some reason I was holding out on the two novels, though. Since DFW's death in September, he's been omnipresent during my reading time. I re-read everything I'd already read and tackled a bunch of his stuff that was new to me. Now, the Infinite Summer is the perfect way for me to continue to take in all of the amazing body of work he left behind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:31 pm 

24. Glad to see the wide range of ages, and it's awesome that there are 16/17 years olds into it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:29 pm 

24 here also. Second time through. Falling over with excitement.

And to the 16 yr olds: seriously, props, or big-ups, &c. I worked (volunteered really, via Americorps) at a high school with jrs and sophomores this past school year, and Jesus if any of them had been reading IJ for an independent study, well. It would have been a much better year for everyone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next