Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who's re-reading with me?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:14 pm 

I'm there with dennisnoble. I read Infinite Jest in 1997, and it resonated deeply enough that little bits come back into my life often. I tried to get my lit departments to shepherd my Master's thesis in IJ, but nobody was willing to read the novel. Hopefully that will change in a few years when I return to PhD work.
I'm already loving re-reading the book, and am shocked at how many clues I missed in the first reading; and at how sad this time around is for me. Glad for the group opportunity this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 am 

Not sure how many previous readings, or when was first one, but I do remember finishing it and immediately starting again at the beginning. I keep a copy out in general circulation around the house, and open it randomly & start reading when I need to read something but don't want to start something new.

Also, my first complete read-through was not my first attempt - I didn't dig it at all at first and then one day I couldn't put it down. For weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:20 pm 

I am rereading, having finished it just a few weeks before this Infinite Summer began.
English teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:52 am 

A second reading here more or less. The first was five years ago when our daughter introduced me to DFW as he had just occupied the Disney chair at Pomona where she attended college. The phrase more or less is used since I intended to reread it this summer but didn't become aware of the Infinite Summer project until last week and have picked up IJ a third of the way through this time. Given the much commented on non-linear nature of the book it doesn't appear it will be a problem.