[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - Is anyone else reading another book at the same time?

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is anyone else reading another book at the same time?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:29 pm 

Sorry if this is a repeat post. When I found out about Infinite Summer I had already started another conventional novel (Bridge of Sighs). I powered through it in a couple of days and caught myself up with the first week of IJ. Reading Bridge of Sighs felt the way a hitter in baseball feels after they release the weighted doughnut. In week 2 and 3 I am only reading IJ. I am wondering if others are reading another book along side IJ or just focusing on it.

Post subject: Re: Is anyone else reading another book at the same time?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 pm 

I was halfway through Lisa Randall's Warped Passages, but I find I usually pick up IJ when it's time to read. It's difficult to absorb both DFW and particle physics. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:20 pm 

I'm reading other books. I usually have several on the go, and I move from one to another as I feel like it, trying to read something in each one regularly. As the pace for IJ is only about 10 pages a day, I have time for more. I'm not reading any other super-challenging novel though. I usually have one other lighter novel and one or two nonfiction books as well as IJ. I've read this way for a while, so the Infinite Summer project fit right in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:40 pm 

I started "The Scar" today. Very good - she uses the word Basilisk - isn't that in IJ? I've never heard it before reading it in IJ. I need to have recreational reading along with IJ. It works better for me so far to give myself a break to let things absorb before powering on on automatic. Wasn't he describing someone's breath as basilisk and pyhorreic smelling?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:43 am 

Alongside IJ I'm also simultaneously (re)reading:

- Principia Mathematica (Isaac Newton);
- Discipline and Punish, in the original French (Michel Foucault);
- War and Peace, in the original Russian (Leo Tolstoy);
- The Complete Works of Samuel Beckett;
- Being and Time, in the original German (Martin Heidegger); and
- The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Edward Gibbon).

Okay, so I'm kidding. :lol: But joking aside, I'm finding my first trip through Infinite Jest to be simply too intriguing to put the novel down, even momentarily, in order to pick up something else!

Todeswalzer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:14 pm 

Actually works, as in Anton Chekov's, a writer whose works seem amazingly modern and to the point (at least to this reader) considering when they were written and first published...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:45 am 

yeah. this summer i also need to do a lot of the reading for my next year at university (i'm reading english) so i'm going to be reading a LOT at the same time, including the faerie queene and possibly paradise lost. at the moment i'm reading some frederick seidel poetry & DFW short stories as well as IF. but then i'm trying to keep just to the IS pace and i don't have a job or anything, so i have time to read a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:06 pm 

I have Woody Allen's "The insanity defense" (a prose collection) on the less-traveled side of the bed in case I need some time off from IJ. So far I haven't had to use it.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:44 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:29 pm 

Im reading The Glass Castle for the 3rd time just to fill in my mind

Add me @

Friend me @

Tweet me @