Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many times have you read IJ?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm 

I just finished my first time through yesterday. I have to say I'm somewhere in the middle as far as my appreciation for this book, but for some reason I felt compelled to start reading it again as soon as I finished it. I went to the internet for answers to a few questions (i.e. What the hell happened with Orin? Where did Joelle go after she got away from Steeply?) and found Infinite Summer. SWEET! I just got the reason I needed to bypass the other 10 or so books I bought while getting through IJ! I thought the writing was amazing, self-indulgent at times (this seems to be a common criticism) and very back-and-forth emotionally. I have actually talked a friend into reading it with me (us?) this time through. I'm looking forward to it. I have to say that I am taken aback by the similarities between "the entertainment" and the book... I've seriously never wanted to immediately start over on a book upon completing it. This will be a fun way to spend a summer!

Post subject: Re: How many times have you read IJ?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:17 am 

*reminds self to go in through the proper forum doors rather than "View active topics" to avoid spoiler rich sections*

About 0.772 times.