Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IJ in Madison, WI
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 pm 

It seems that the only bookstore on State Street (Madison, WI) that has copies of IJ is the UW bookstore. They had two copies left on the shelf after I grabbed mine. Borders Books on University has one copy as of now. Borders on Zeier Road has 0 copies. Barnes and Noble on Mineral Point Road has 3 copies. A Room of One's Own has 1 copy. The UW bookstore at Hilldale has 1 copy.

I tried to reserve a room at the library for a Madison discussion group for Infinite Summer, but I ran into a bunch of red tape. If there are any other Madisonians out there, we should meet up every week to rap about the week's reading. Send me a message!

Post subject: Re: IJ in Madison, WI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 pm 

oh! i'm SO happy you wrote!

i AM in madison but haven't picked up a copy yet. i need to wait for a paycheck or two more (which is actually good, because otherwise it would be hard to not read it sooner). HOWEVER. i think if we mentioned this challenge to rainbow books they would be willing to order some copies to have on hand - i'm really a proponent of supporting local businesses and things like that. let me know what you think about this - i would be more than willing to contact them.

i would love to get together to discuss IJ this summer. i am in the process of recruiting friends to do this as well. i have at least two confirmed right now, and am bugging some more.

re: a room. well, i'm a student at the uw and can reserve study rooms in any of the uw libraries (the only one that identification is required to get into is memorial) if we want to use that. there is also the thought of supporting locally owned coffee shops (escape on willy st. is always trying to get people to use their conference rooms - and i don't think its too expensive) or checking at one of the locally owned bookstores (rainbow books would be my first choice i think).

what do you think? i'll also send you a message with more of my contact information.

but again - so glad you wrote!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:53 pm 

When I called around to the different bookstores, I told them about the project but didn't explicitly ask them to order extra copies. Rainbow Books didn't pick up the phone, but the seem like a good supplier.

Now that I think about it, a library is not the optimal place for lively and joyous discussion. Escape would be an excellent place. Or if you're into beer, the Malt House Tavern.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:14 pm 

ah! lets do the malt house! I think brewsky would good well with this - and really any - book discussion. PLUS we are in wisconsin, right? We should be true to our alcohol friendly roots. thats such a fun and cozy place anyways.

i think i might try to call rainbow this afternoon and see what they say.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:38 am 

I got two copies from rainbow books - they like to order them for people they know will pick them up, i think. mine came in less than a week. i would highly recommend using them! their contact info is such:

rainbow bookstore co-operative
http://www.rainbowbookstore.org/
426 W. Gilman Street

Madison, WI 53703

Need to find Gilman Street? Find Us

Phone: 608-257-6050

Fax: 608-268-0445

HOURS

Monday - Saturday 10-6pm

Sunday 12-5pm