Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vancouver
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 am 

Must be many Vancouverites out there reading IJ. What about a meetup ?

I am located near Vancouver General Hospital - so could meet either downtown, Broadway, UBC, Commercial?

Drop a line if any of you are interested for a gathering to discuss IJ.

Post subject: Re: Vancouver
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 pm 

A meet up next week would be great. I'm dying to discuss this novel with someone. Downtown works best for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 am 

Lueread, and other IJ readers in Vancouver

glad you are interested in meeting to discuss IJ. I was hoping for a better response rate - but maybe if we set a date and time it will encourage more people.

What about Thursday after work - say 7:00pm at a downtown coffee shop - we have tons to pick from. Any suggestions that might be convenient for bus routes, so we might entice more IJ readers?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:49 pm 

Downtown, 7pm Thursday sounds excellent.
How's Waves on the corner of Richards and Hastings sound? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:11 pm 

Sure, sounds good. We will meet at Waves at the corner of Hasting and Richard in downtown Vancouver at 7pm on Thursday (Aug. 13th). I will bring my copy of IJ and have it on the table - shouldn't be hard to find :)

Hopefully Vancouver readers of IJ that might have read this post but not responded will show up (and/or respond) - the more the better. Come on, this is your chance to interact with fellow IJ readers and finally have somebody to discuss IJ with, other than all your friends who you are still trying to encourage to start reading.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 am 

I'd love to meet up but Thursdays don't work for me. Yeah, nothing like being a pain and demanding a different day once you have everything set up.

If you meet on any non-Wednesday or Thursday I'd love to meet other IJ fans and readers in Lotusland.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:50 pm 

Hi Nospmohta,

I am open to more than one meeting. You pick a date and time in non-normal work time and I would be willing - and maybe we can catch more readers of IJ that live in the Vancouver area.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:11 pm 

I'm certainly up for more than one meet up also. I'll keep checking the forum as most evenings are open for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:48 am 

Okay Vancouverites, today - Aug 13th, Lueread and I (Ward) are going to meet at Waves coffee shop at the corner of Hasting and Richard in downtown Vancouver at 7pm. I hope more of the people that have read these posts but haven't posted will show decide to come and talk about IJ.

I (and I think Lueread) will be there with are books out on our tables - so we should all be able to spy each other out.

(We are also thinking of having other IJ gatherings that more people can make - maybe an end of Infinite Summer gathering)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:25 pm 

Should we plan another gathering for next week? What time/place would be good for people?