Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Map question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 1
So if I were referring to someone who was dead in Wallace terms could I say he was "erased from the map"? Is that the proper use of that term? Or would it be he was "demapped" or he "erased his map"?

Chad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Map question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:38 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
crcorey1 wrote:
So if I were referring to someone who was dead in Wallace terms could I say he was "erased from the map"? Is that the proper use of that term? Or would it be he was "demapped" or he "erased his map"?

The way Wallace uses the term, "demapping" and "erasing a map" is something that happens to a person. So using your examples, you'd say something like someone "had their map erased" (is dead) or "was demapped by person x" (was killed) or "eliminated their map" (committed suicide).


--Todeswalzer.

_________________
First-Time Reader
Started: 26 June 2009 | Finished: 25 July 2009


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Map question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:52 pm
Posts: 41
Map = face


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Map question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:47 am
Posts: 63
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Does map always = face? I think it's past the spoiler line, but sll the quibbling about the map vs. the territory in the Eschaton section got me thinking that maybe when Wallace uses the word map w/r/t a person, what he's really talking about is their physical selves as a representation of their inner selves, histories, beliefs, ideas, etc. And the relationships between those things.

So person A uses all the observable traits and behaviors of person B to read the unobservable (and incommunicable) aspects of person B, like you'd use a map to navigate the territory of a place you've never been to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Map question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 89
Location: Brooklyn
dioramaorama wrote:
Does map always = face? I think it's past the spoiler line, but sll the quibbling about the map vs. the territory in the Eschaton section got me thinking that maybe when Wallace uses the word map w/r/t a person, what he's really talking about is their physical selves as a representation of their inner selves, histories, beliefs, ideas, etc. And the relationships between those things.

So person A uses all the observable traits and behaviors of person B to read the unobservable (and incommunicable) aspects of person B, like you'd use a map to navigate the territory of a place you've never been to.


Good point. It also relates to the conversation at the party where Joelle attempts suicide. On pg. 232, someone argues that "this, this whole thing, what you and I are discoursing within, is a technologically constituted space." On 233, his companion says that the "more interesting issue from a Heideggerian perspective is a priori, whether space as a concept is enframed by technology as a concept."

At least, I think it does. I don't have any idea what Heidegger's views were on space. It just seems like space vs representation of space is brought up a few times, like how we identify it, signifiers vs signified, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Map question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:52 pm
Posts: 41
I'm not saying that stuff isn't interesting, or that DFW couldn't be playing a little bit with the term, but it's not something he invented. "Map" is slang for "face." It's in dictionaries.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Map question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:06 am
Posts: 7
While "wiped off the map" is a familiar idiom, I'd presumed its ubiquity in the world of IJ was a bit of gallows humor stemming from Continental Reconfiguration.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Map question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 5
Location: Chicago, IL
RealCatgutStrings wrote:
While "wiped off the map" is a familiar idiom, I'd presumed its ubiquity in the world of IJ was a bit of gallows humor stemming from Continental Reconfiguration.

I'm inclined to agree. Also, the endnote with JOI's filmography references a film called "No Troy" which concerns the literal removal of Troy, NY from the map during the creation of the Great Concavity.

_________________
http://torridly.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Translated by MaĆ«l Soucaze © 2009 phpBB.fr