[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Infinite Summer • View topic - First Impressions?

Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The Inficratic Oath: first, post no spoilers. Limit your I.J. discussion to only those events that take place on or before the page 981 (100%).

Post subject: Re: First Impressions?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:52 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:41 pm 

I've been meaning to read IJ for years but was waiting for a copy to fall into my lap cheaply--this motivated me to actually buy. This should be fun!

I wondered if Hal in the interview was very high/stoned/UI, which can result in that kind of mismatch between inner experience and outer behavior.

Little bits that jumped out: on the very first page, Hal seeing the Dean's glasses as "court-shaped, the sidelines at top and bottom"; p. 56 - Don Gately "crept around on huge cat feet" (Sandburg reference combined with cat burglar!); p. 58 -the house "as bare as a post-feral-hamster meadow"; p. 65-66, the idea of the Cardinals team having to dress up as birds and fly into the stadium!

One thing that bugged me: the JOI filmography (endnote 24) not having years B.S.--ie, the earlier films are labeled "B.S." alone without the year. I understand we're supposed to be kept in the dark so far about when everything is actually transpiring, but this to me broke the dream because it feels so inauthentic. Especially when BS year numbers ARE referred to in the plot descriptions, and then on p. 81 we see what one would expect, "B.S. 1989."

--Hilary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:03 am 

About 13 pages in, I remembered: One of the reasons it took me so long to return to IJ after the first read (11 years) is that DFW's writing just humbles me. To the ground. I love him to pieces but I can't help thinking "GodDAMN, he's good -- in a million billion years of writing I could never approach this level." But I forgive him because ... well, because it's damn good readin'. Heh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:52 pm 

If it wasn't for this group/website there is no way I would still be reading this book. It is so confusing and hard to track. Yet as I read I kept thinking about the various guides advice and plugged away. This morning when I checked the chapter summaries and character list I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I am comprehending and retaining more than I thought I was. It is also comforting to know that others are in the same boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:12 pm 

[b]Hcethatsme [/b]enjoyed the phrase as "bare as a post-feral-hamster meadow" a seemingly clever but meaningless phrase until low-and- behold on page 93 DFW gives us an entire description and etiology of feral hamsters!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:12 am 

Loving it so far and am enjoying how "readable" it is. Not generally what you expect from an over 1000 page book. I'm really interested in seeing how it all comes together. Trying not to be intimidated right now. I'm finding that if I read a passage and it doesn't make sense, if I just slow down and re-read it, it all comes together. Basically if I don't get something, I'm the problem!

I'm enjoying the mix of tragedy and humor and dystopian tone. Here's a question, is this world a dystopia? I wouldn't call it a utopia. But it feels like everyone is so disconnected from each other, forces are at work beyond their control, and everyone's on drugs. Wait a second...that's Los Angeles!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:49 am 

HUGE Thanks to Matthew et al. Before the article on Infinite Summer in the book section of Time magazine, I had never heard of DFW or IJ, even though this is a type of book I really enjoy (or rather, several types I enjoy in one huge crack-up of a tome).

Enjoying the heck out of it. With sufficient patience, the tortuous path of the narrative only makes it more enjoyable, with little moments of revelation and insight that keep things fresh, even many dozens of pages in.