Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The Inficratic Oath: first, post no spoilers. Limit your I.J. discussion to only those events that take place on or before the page 981 (100%).

Post subject: Re: The cover of IJ
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 am 

doubtful geste wrote:
Don't remember noticing the wallpaper before. As far as the sky image otherwise in the book, the main descriptions of the "literal" sky in the book I can remember off the cuff are:

-the several references to the Boston Sky having to be protected constantly by the ATHSCME fans* pushing back the pollution of the concavity
-the special case of the snowstorm during Eschaton
-the mostly clear skies above Marathe/Steeply that allow for the early image of their (M & S's) shadows extending essentially infinitely over the city below them.

Given the way the Boston skyline is under constant threat of the return of that which it has cast away from itself in hopes it will not return, and the connection of this general image of casting away to the other themes of escaping and/or mediating the self in the book the idyllic sky of the book cover suggests things like a nostalgia for clear skies or the artificial imposition of "clear skies" that might be caused by viewing the entertainment (or taking various substances, etc) or just an ideal goal in general. So especially cool to have this image pop up in Tavis' office, since he is the paragon of "total worry," the complete antithesis of idyllic blue skies of the mind/self. The snow-as-sorta-image-of-nuclear-winter during the Eschaton game is, of course, an image of an extreme of losing the blue skies.

*Ever since my first reading of the book, I cannot read the ATHSCME name without hearing Morrissey, back in his Smiths days, singing in my head "ATHSCME ATHSCME ATHSCME ATHSCME ATHSCME ATHSCME because if it's not love, then it's the bomb the bomb the bomb the bomb the bomb the bomb the bomb that will keep us together!"

I love this explanation! There's a lot of sky imagery and somehow I hadn't put it togethe with the looming threat of the return of that which has been cast away. It's all coming together now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:05 pm 

Spoiler! "Maybe it's the reflection of the blue sky and clouds in the Quabbin Reservoir which covers the flooded former city of Enfield. :)"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 pm 

For what it's worth, Foster Wallace said in an interview that he didn't like the cover and that he sent Little, Brown a few "ingenious ideas" for the cover, which they promptly disregarded. If I ever had gotten the chance to have 10 seconds with him at the front of a signing line, I think I would've asked what a few of those ideas were.

-D