Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


The Inficratic Oath: first, post no spoilers. Limit your I.J. discussion to only those events that take place on or before the page 981 (100%).



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 89
Location: Brooklyn
RroseSelavy wrote:
Ack, dumb dumb self-righteous me. Stephaniejane, I'm sorry. :oops:

I *thought* I read the footnotes closely but this shows me just how much I've forgotten already. Maybe it's time to re-read the filmography.

You're keeping excellent notes.


Oh no, please don't apologize! I got so upset over a spoiler on the board that turned out to be on page, like, 2, that i had just missed. But thanks, about the notes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 89
Location: Brooklyn
thinkicanhearyou wrote:
Actually, I think there IS a spoiler in the EverybodyHurts post earlier in the thread. EverybodyHurts describes what happens in the Entertainment and as far as I've read (page 350 or so) we haven't had an actual description from DFW.


No, we have - it's been mentioned on pg. 230: Re: the "thing Jim alleges he made out of her unveiled face here at the start of YTSDB" - "there was nothing coherent in the mother-death-cosmology and apologies she'd repeated over and over, inclined over that auto-wobbled lens propped up in the plaid-sided pram."

This book has taken over my life, if it wasn't obvious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:06 pm
Posts: 32
stephaniejane wrote:
thinkicanhearyou wrote:
Actually, I think there IS a spoiler in the EverybodyHurts post earlier in the thread. EverybodyHurts describes what happens in the Entertainment and as far as I've read (page 350 or so) we haven't had an actual description from DFW.


No, we have - it's been mentioned on pg. 230: Re: the "thing Jim alleges he made out of her unveiled face here at the start of YTSDB" - "there was nothing coherent in the mother-death-cosmology and apologies she'd repeated over and over, inclined over that auto-wobbled lens propped up in the plaid-sided pram."

This book has taken over my life, if it wasn't obvious.


I'm not sure that this is actually a description of the Entertainment. The penultimate entry in J.O.I.'s filmography is titled "Sorry All Over the Place." Sounds like that's more like what's being described here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 89
Location: Brooklyn
joel wrote:
I'm not sure that this is actually a description of the Entertainment. The penultimate entry in J.O.I.'s filmography is titled "Sorry All Over the Place." Sounds like that's more like what's being described here.


Ohh, interesting. That changes things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:01 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Mansfield, MA
thinkicanhearyou wrote:
Actually, I think there IS a spoiler in the EverybodyHurts post earlier in the thread. EverybodyHurts describes what happens in the Entertainment and as far as I've read (page 350 or so) we haven't had an actual description from DFW.


I was using p.230 as a reference, where Joelle is at the brownstone and describes her part in the "allegedly fatally entertaining and scopophiliac thing Jim alleges he made out of her unveiled face..... Had he even cut the tape into something coherent? There was nothing coherent in the mother-death-cosmology and apologies she'd repeated over and over, inclined over that auto-wobbled lens propped up in the plaid-sided pram. He'd never let her see it, not even the dailies. He killed himself less than ninety days later."

Didn't think I was spoiling anything since the timeline when I posted was beyond that. If so, my humblest apologies and the mods can delete my post if need be. :oops:

_________________
"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you." DFW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 89
Location: Brooklyn
EverybodyHurts wrote:
thinkicanhearyou wrote:
Actually, I think there IS a spoiler in the EverybodyHurts post earlier in the thread. EverybodyHurts describes what happens in the Entertainment and as far as I've read (page 350 or so) we haven't had an actual description from DFW.


I was using p.230 as a reference, where Joelle is at the brownstone and describes her part in the "allegedly fatally entertaining and scopophiliac thing Jim alleges he made out of her unveiled face..... Had he even cut the tape into something coherent? There was nothing coherent in the mother-death-cosmology and apologies she'd repeated over and over, inclined over that auto-wobbled lens propped up in the plaid-sided pram. He'd never let her see it, not even the dailies. He killed himself less than ninety days later."

Didn't think I was spoiling anything since the timeline when I posted was beyond that. If so, my humblest apologies and the mods can delete my post if need be. :oops:


Did you read any of the previous posts? I mentioned that quote and someone replied that this may not be IJ but actually another film, Sorry All Over the Place. And that wasn't the spoiler - there actually weren't any spoilers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:01 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Mansfield, MA
Whoops. Went from Pg.1 of this thread into my reply without realizing it went on to Pg.2 and missed those posts. For some reason, I do that a lot on these boards, then I'm surprised when I see the "unread posts" symbol again. I plead old age/senility. Thanks for clearing that up.

_________________
"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you." DFW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recursive Loops
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 89
Location: Brooklyn
EverybodyHurts wrote:
Whoops. Went from Pg.1 of this thread into my reply without realizing it went on to Pg.2 and missed those posts. For some reason, I do that a lot on these boards, then I'm surprised when I see the "unread posts" symbol again. I plead old age/senility. Thanks for clearing that up.


No worries, just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Translated by Maël Soucaze © 2009 phpBB.fr