Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The Inficratic Oath: first, post no spoilers. Limit your I.J. discussion to only those events that take place on or before the page 981 (100%).

Post subject: Re: Year of Yushityu...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:39 pm 

Aerodynamics wrote:
"Yushityu" drives me crazy, because it seems to be an attempt at Japanese name, but it can't be Japanese, because the only gana/kana that come over as containing a 't' in translation are 'ta' 'tsu' 'te' and 'to'.

Could this be another language? Anyone care to set me straight?

I don't know Japanese but I kept wanting to pronounce it "Yushitsu" until I looked closely. Whether or not you're correct about the possible phonemes, I think DFW is saying the name means "You [utter] shit, you [shitty person]" or else "You [have or are continuing to] shit you[rself]." The second seems far more likely in the context of Depends Adult Undergarments.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:25 am 

masonite wrote:
Aerodynamics wrote:
"Yushityu" drives me crazy, because it seems to be an attempt at Japanese name, but it can't be Japanese, because the only gana/kana that come over as containing a 't' in translation are 'ta' 'tsu' 'te' and 'to'.

I think DFW is saying the name means "You [utter] shit, you [shitty person]" or else "You [have or are continuing to] shit you[rself]."

That much is clear enough, and that's why it bothers me, I guess. The implausibility of the name sort of ruins the joke for me.

I was sort of hoping someone was going to tell me that it was potentially Korean. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:25 am 

Aerodynamics wrote:

Huh. You're basically right; you couldn't have a Japanese name that was pronounced "you shit you", although you could have "you she chew" (ゆしちゅ), which would be written "Yusityu" (no "h" after the "s") in the Kunrei-shiki romanization system ("Yushichu" in Hepburn). But you can't have both "sh" and "tyu" in the same name unless you're changing romanization systems halfway through.

Maybe that's what the "(sic)" is for. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:30 am 

What if the [sic] is because of Avril's MGM?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:25 am 

mp050 wrote:
What if the [sic] is because of Avril's MGM?

Maybe the [sic] refers to the fact that "For" and "Or" are capitalized?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:09 pm 

I just meant, maybe Avril's militant grammarians had some success and got the [sic] inserted into the subsidized year's name.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:18 pm 

mp050 wrote:
I just meant, maybe Avril's militant grammarians had some success and got the [sic] inserted into the subsidized year's name.

Oh yeah, I got that, which was a good point. But weren't people asking what error the [sic] referred to in the first place?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 am 

dna wrote:
Aerodynamics wrote:

Huh. You're basically right; you couldn't have a Japanese name that was pronounced "you shit you", although you could have "you she chew" (ゆしちゅ), which would be written "Yusityu" (no "h" after the "s") in the Kunrei-shiki romanization system ("Yushichu" in Hepburn). But you can't have both "sh" and "tyu" in the same name unless you're changing romanization systems halfway through.

Maybe that's what the "(sic)" is for. :D

Maybe Yushityu is really an American/ONANite company, whose marketing department came up with the idea of calling themselves something "Japanese" to sound more "high-tech" and "cutting edge". Remember, this was written in the 90's, when Japan was still at the forefront of the home electronics industry, and it would have been a fair assumption for DFW to continue this market dominance into the Yushityu subsidized year, 2007ish. Yushityu could be a type of reverse Engrish, sounding Japanese to the American/ONANite public but in reality total gibberish.