Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The Inficratic Oath: first, post no spoilers. Limit your I.J. discussion to only those events that take place on or before the page 981 (100%).

Post subject: Re: Learned something useful already, on page 45!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:03 am 

cbogart wrote:
He had enough to do, rifling through the neighbors' dumpsters for discarded medicine bottles to transcribe their labels into footnotes

I admit I don't know much about the guy biographically, but I always kind of got the idea his pharmacological knowledge was more first-hand. But you're right, if there was garbage to be rooted through, I think he would have enjoyed doing it himself instead of making the intern dig and transcribe. A little archeological experiment every night with the pocket notebook and the Maglite.

Post subject: Re: Learned something useful already, on page 45!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:24 am 

ruinedmap wrote:
I'm so jealous you have cockroaches to try this on.

I'm also amazed at someone being jealous of cockroaches! I'm in Florida and we have entirely too much experience with giant flying cockroaches. I'll never forget my brother's reaction to his first one the first time he came to visit - almost, but not quite, as hysterical as the image of Orin's bathroom floor transformed into an obstacle course of "stoically" suffocating roaches! And I can only assume roaches are going to be a recurring theme - so far one character leaves his peacefully alone and one kills them.