Infinite Summer

Formed in the summer of 2009 to read David Foster Wallace's masterwork "Infinite Jest".
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

There are NO spoiler restrictions in this forum. Caveat emptor.

Post subject: Can someone send me the doorknob-math-annulation section?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 pm 

Can anyone send me the text of the section where Himself reminisces about "how [he] first became interested in annulation?" It comes right at the end of the section where Himself and his father and mother are dissembling a bad. I mostly want the part that comes after young Himself knocks the doorknob out of the door, until the end of the section, if that's clear.

Sounds weird to ask, but I lent my copy of IJ to someone and I need to quote that section for something. I'd really appreciate it!

Post subject: Re: Can someone send me the doorknob-math-annulation section?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:09 pm 

Quote:
I ran upstairs and pivoted left at the upstairs landing and went into my room. In my room was my bed. It was narrow, a twin bed, with a head­board of wood and frame and slats of wood. I didn't know where it had come from, originally. The frame held the narrow box spring and mattress much higher off the floor than my parents' bed. It was an old-fashioned bed, so high off the floor that you had to put one knee up on the mattress and clamber up into it, or else jump.
That is what I did. For the first time since I had become taller than my parents, I took several running strides in from the doorway, past my shelves' collection of prisms and lenses and tennis trophies and my scale-model mag­neto, past my bookcase, the wall's still-posters from Powell's Peeping Tom and the closet door and my bedside's high-intensity standing lamp, and jumped, doing a full swan dive up onto my bed. I landed with my weight on my chest with my arms and legs out from my body on the indigo comforter on my bed, squashing my tie and bending my glasses' temples slightly. I was trying to make my bed produce a loud squeak, which in the case of my bed I knew was caused by any lateral friction between the wooden slats and the frame's interior's shelf-like slat-support.
But in the course of the leap and the dive, my overlong arm hit the heavy iron pole of the high-intensity standing lamp that stood next to the bed. The lamp teetered violently and began to fall over sideways, away from the bed. It fell with a kind of majestic slowness, resembling a felled tree. As the lamp fell, its heavy iron pole struck the brass knob on the door to my closet, shearing the knob off completely. The round knob and half its interior hex bolt fell off and hit my room's wooden floor with a loud noise and began then to roll around in a remarkable way, the sheared end of the hex bolt stationary and the round knob, rolling on its circumference, circling it in a spherical orbit, describing two perfectly circular motions on two distinct axes, a non-Euclidian figure on a planar surface, i.e., a cycloid on a sphere:

Here there are two figures...
Quote:
The closest conventional analogue I could derive for this figure was a cycloid, L'Hôpital's solution to Bernoulli's famous Brachistochrone Prob­lem, the curve traced by a fixed point on the circumference of a circle rolling along a continuous plane. But since here, on the bedroom's floor, a circle was rolling around what was itself the circumference of a circle, the cy­cloid's standard parametric equations were no longer apposite, those equa­tions' trigonometric expressions here becoming themselves first-order differential equations.
Because of the lack of resistance or friction against the bare floor, the knob rolled this way for a long time as I watched over the edge of the comforter and mattress, holding my glasses in place, completely distracted from the minor-D shriek of the vacuum below. It occurred to me that the movement of the amputated knob perfectly schematized what it would look like for someone to try to turn somersaults with one hand nailed to the floor. This was how I first became interested in the possibilities of annulation.

I hope this is what you were looking for. r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:23 am 

zooxanthellae wrote:
I lent my copy of IJ to someone

Did you give them the reading schedule? They are supposed to be done by now. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:33 am 

Man, I love this section.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 am 

robbi60 wrote:
I hope this is what you were looking for. r

Thank you very much, it is :)

Quote:
Did you give them the reading schedule? They are supposed to be done by now.

Nah, I said if he wanted some help he could check out this site, but I only gave it to him about a week ago so it was a bit late.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:16 pm 

A little embarrassing to do this, but can someone provide me with the page # for the above section :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 pm 

p 491-503 (the whole section, the above quotation is from 501 and 503). I also attach the nice figure in the text. r

Attachments:
cyclo.jpeg
cyclo.jpeg [ 14.39 KiB | Viewed 9750 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:37 pm 

Thanks again, robbi :)